MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 44)

Yes, it's been a long time since I first got down...

I moved my girl Miss Wendy from Los Angeles to Indianapolis; on the way I stopped in Denver, Colorado and talked with my friend Jake Stern, whose band I will be featuring on the next installment of the podcast; and since we've been here I just haven't felt the pressing need to do the podcast.

I've been busy, for sure. Playing gigs with Concrete Sailor, working a 9 to 5 plus finding time to do other things and also hang out with my soon-to-be wife and my son... honestly, the podcast was something that started when I didn't have a lot going on. And now, I've got a lot going on. 

Shit happens, what can I say?

But the podcast is still very important to me. I think about it all the time. I do it because I truly love it, but it has definitely been de-prioritized on my list of things to do. Getting the gumption to get up and upload the podcast (plus update the blog, promote it, and everything else connected to it) pales in comparison to the joys of bingeing on Netflix and eating ice cream with your loved ones after a hard day at work. But ultimately, it's my love of music that compels me to continue.

In this episode, I finally finish the conversation I started with Nick Culp in re: the state of modern hip-hop vs. old school rap, closing out the "Some Ill Shit" segment for now. Most of it centers around rap tracks that sample Delegation's hit "Oh Honey", samples that span the course of the entire history of hip-hop. I assure you, Nick and I will be back on this tip in the near future.

I also play live cuts from a show I did with my man Jeremiah Cosner under the name Concrete Sailor. This show took place over Memorial Day/Race Day weekend in May 2019. We have another show coming up soon at the same venue, Burnside Inn in Indianapolis.

I open the show with a tribute to the late great Roky Erickson, who passed away recently. I had the pleasure of meeting the man years ago when I lived in Los Angeles, and I mention a little bit of that in my opening segment.

So good to be back in the saddle. I hope to keep doing this for as long as I can hang with it.


00:00 Intro/Warning (Social & Political Injustices)
02:10 Alice In Blunderland/Segment One
07:48 Some Ill Shit w/ Nick Culp
--Three Times Dope & Kali Uchis
--Modern Hip-Hop
--Flavor
--Purple Ape
--Method Man's Steez
--Biking by Frank Ocean
30:25 Concrete Sailor @ Burnside Inn Live
--Weekend Warrior
--Alyssandra
--Son's Gonna Rise
--Ain't No Sunshine
47:15 Segment Two/Hot Mess
52:45 End Of The Hour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59