MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 35)


This is the second half of the two-parter I did with Coolhouse, a musical duo featuring J.J. Schoch and Dolly Ramirez. This hour mostly has the leftovers of what we recorded that first time out, but they are far from warmed-over outtakes: there's a protest tune in the mix, plus a sample of J.J. on the double bass, and a piano composition by him as well. Then we go behind the scenes and hear previews from their upcoming debut, which is being touched up in their home studio.

I added some songs from heavyweights like Van Morrison and X. But I spend the last ten minutes going off on what I feel is a negative trend in podcasting: the proliferation of troll-ish shows that merely feature stuck-up snot-nosed know-nothings talking trash about music they barely understand or have the taste to critique. Recently I listened to one such show, and the irony is that when another show with similar content came down the pike, I got the two confused. That's because they had almost identical episodes and common targets. Yeah, it's easy to take potshots at fan faves and one-hit wonders, but it's funny how these hosts of these shows never put their REAL musical tastes out on the chopping block.

That's because they don't have any balls.

I don't waste my time trying to shine a spotlight on the things I hate. I may mention bands I dislike in my podcast, but I certainly don' center shows around them completely. That's because there's too much out there to like. Why spend my time listening to garbage, even if my aim is to bring it down a peg? I'd rather play uplifting music and try to educate the masses.

So please excuse my rant. And just know this: it comes from my heart. From my soul. I'm not ashamed of it. I would rather just spend my time entertaining your eardrums instead of taking a dump on them.

Next week I may go back to focusing on bands that never got their due. We'll see. Until then, just enjoy.




00:00 Intro/ I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts
05:08 Segment One-- Morning Light
12:20 Moondance Take 22
17:04 Segment Two-- Musical Genres
23:08 Standing In My Grace
27:44 Segment Three-- The Digital Age
34:17 A Little Bit o' Bass
36:15 Segment Four-- In The Studio w/ Coolhouse
43:50 Segment Five-- Wrapping It Up
46:50 BJ's Rant
56:33 Some Other Time/ End Of The Hour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59