Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...



The Ninth Hour of the Mixtape Preservation Society podcast is up and running. Check the Podcast Links section in the upper left corner for the appropriate links.

As I note in my spoken introduction, this podcast has been airing for nine episodes and already we've had to say goodbye to at least three completely different artists in the time it's been in existence. Chris Cornell, Gregg Allman, and now Prodigy of Mobb Deep... what the fuck is going on in music? WE pay proper tribute to Prodigy by making the first track of this hour the classic Mobb Deep cut "Shook Ones".

The interview with DJ Greenhouse comes to a close with this hour, but all it has really done is inspired me to have him on semi-regularly. I think the two of us talking about music is the basis for most podcasts, and it takes the pressure off having a different guest each week... because I'm not sure I want a guest each week anyway. Some hours I want to resemble the Prince tribute more than the guested hours, but I still like having that option open.

I experimented with having more selections playing during the interview. Cuts by artists like Richard Pryor, A Tribe Called Quest, Lou Reed, 2 Live Crew, and Can pepper the conversation and give points of reference for our more obscure references. I think this is something I am going to incorporate into the hours as time goes on.

I could've definitely done a solid half hour but I decided to stretch it out anyway. I don't think I'm a fan of short podcasts. I want this to be different and yet I know that an hour might be too long for most people. Just listen to it while you drive or work out or fold laundry or prepare dinner. That's what I do when I'm doing my quality control before posting each new podcast!

Finally, I snuck in a mystery track of sorts. It is titled "Memorial Day" and was recorded live on a Memorial Day weekend jam perhaps 15 years ago at a friend's home studio in North Hollywood, CA. The group went by the collective moniker Thursday Night Special and there will definitely be more examples of their work in future podcasts.

ENJOY HOUR NINE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

MPS HOUR 59