MPS HOUR 59

I can be a troll if need be... not proud of it... who am I fooling, I love it. But it's not sustainable: eventually you just want to be able to go online and NOT start a fight with a perfect stranger. I am not looking to get in people's faces constantly, but sometimes THEY bring it to YOU. And so it helps to be able to handle your own in an online squabble. I have great admiration for artists who can handle their own in the real world. Audiences (even the paying ones) aren't always hospitable to performers, especially if alcohol is involved. Hecklers can get a sense of entitlement and decide that THEY, and not the person on the marquee, is worthy of attention. In my opinion, a good live perfoemer can squash that beef in no time flat. It just takes the guts to redirect that energy right back at the perpetrators. Going on stage is not as easy as it looks-- it can be gut-wrenching and anxiety-inducing. And so when someone in the crowd acts out of line and gets called out on it, I get a special thrill out of it. In this episode, I list five live albums by various bands, singers, and even stand-up comedians, who toe the line between entertaining people and inciting a riot. Some are (in)famous, like when Bob Dylan forsook folk music and went electric, culminating in a fan accusing him of being Judas; others are obscure but legendary at the same time, like Lou Reed spending an entire live album pontificating at length during his biggest hits; and then there's the willfully low-profile and unrepentant curios, like Iggy & The Stooges baiting biker gangs at live venues and getting knocked out for it. I also give a short tribute to the late, great drummer of The Rolling Stones, a gentleman and a scholar if there ever was one, the inimitable Charlie Watts. PODCAST LINKS Archive.org Buzzsprout Soundcloud Amazon Music Ubook Podchaser Listen Notes I don't know why Apple Podcasts no longer lists mine... I know it's on my iPhone but that may be because it's my podcast...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...