MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 42)



Happy New Year! So I guess I didn't get a chance to do two podcasts in December of 2018, but with the holidays taking their toll and time from me I really don't feel too bad. I would like to get into the habit of doing these twice a month in the new year, however. I really enjoy making these podcasts despite the fact that I am basically playing to no one. I am learning a lot about the process and hope to one day be able to advertise on it. Until then, I will plug away at this as dutifully as I can.

So, a few things about Hour 42, which is basically a continuation of the format I've been sticking to for the last few episodes: first, the album is Side One of The Doors' L.A.Woman, which was Jeremiah Cosner's choice. We sat down in his Vinyl Room and dissected the tracks, musing out loud abut all sorts of business. A few tidbits that need clarifying:

1. A changeling is actually something completely different from what I described to Jeremiah in response to the opening track on Side One. Although Jim Morrison's lyrics don't seem to align with the actual definition of the word, I did some research after the fact and realized I was just talking out of my ass.

2. No disrespect to Waylon Krieger, the son of Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. I'm sure he gets all sorts of guff from people like me. Ultimately, though, he has a deeper connection to the music than any fan would ever have, just by virtue of being related to a band member.

3. "Been Down So Long" is not a cover song. "Crawling King Snake" (which is on Side Two) is by John Lee Hooker, but "Been Down So Long" is definitely an original.

Then Nicholas Culp and I get down to brass tacks, in our continuing conversation about hip-hop entitled "Some Ill Shit". One surprise from this rap session was Nick turning me onto Mel Brooks' Hitler rap from the movie To Be Or Not To Be; I'd seen the movie but knew nothing of the video and song created to promote the movie.

We also go on to discuss the heretofore undiscovered political subtext of Slick Rick's "Indian Girl (An Adult Story)", the prevalence of doo-doo as a hip-hop meme, and give props to Mobb Deep and Q-Tip for their commitment to excellence.

Next episode we'll keep these elements intact, with the exploration of Side Two of the final Doors album and more talking about rap music with Nick.


LINKS:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59