MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 40)



Jeremiah Cosner and I go back to when I first arrived in Indianapolis. He and I met through our then-wives (I am now divorced but he is still happily married) and started making music in a band called The Concrete Sailors. The band dissolved but we still collaborate on projects and hang out to listen to music and shoot the shit. He recently called me up and told me how he finally heard the music of The Velvet Underground for the first time. Of course, I flipped... they're probably one of my all-time favorite groups and Lou Reed is a personal musical hero. So I jumped at the chance to sit back, sip some coffee and reflect on the first side of VU's third, eponymous album.

It was interesting to hear the opinion of someone for whom The Velvets have little meaning, other than some really good and earnest rock 'n' roll. That's not to say that Jeremiah doesn't care about them: the album had a lasting impact on him. But being a VU virgin means he can give an unbiased, unfettered take on what the songs and the band mean to him. I have to admit, I am a little bogged down in my own trivial pursuits sometimes to remember what it was like to simply like a song just because. Sitting down with the man at his home, it was a treat to just let the music envelop us and give us fodder to discuss. I still contribute the lion's share of arcane musical tidbits and whatnot, but Jeremiah's fresh take on all things Velvet was a refreshing respite from my didactic sermonizing. For the next podcast, we will tackle the second side of that album for a regular feature we are calling "Jeremiah's Vinyl Room".

Another regular feature as of late is my discussion of hip-hop with West Coast jazz pianist Nick Culp. This is the third installment of "Some Ill Shit" and it picks up exactly where we left off last time: discussing old school rappers and our favorite cuts. This time around we focus on Kool Moe Dee and the genesis of rap music at block parties in New York. Cameos from Lil Jon, Earl Sweatshirt, and The RZA permeate the proceedings.

Finally, I end the hour with a cover of VU's "Here She Comes Now" from the White Light/White Heat album. The cover is by a band you may or may not know...


00:00 Intro/Jeremiah's Vinyl Room
06:55 Candy Says/Discussion
14:44 Some Kinda Love/Discussion
17:14 Pale Blue Eyes/Discussion
25:40 Jesus/Discussion
36:26 Rock And Roll
40:58 Some Ill Shit w/ Nick Culp
--Kool Moe Dee
--Treacherous 3 Christmas Rap
--Old School Block Parties
--Way Way Back
--Lil Jon & Earl Sweatshirt
--Molasses
--Ohh! We Love You Rakeem
53:15 Blog Tag/Outro
53:47 Here She Comes Now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59