MPS HOUR 8


This marathon interview that I did with my homie DJ Greenhouse has turned into a three-part series. I know, I could probably whittle it down to 15 minutes... but I don't want to. This shit was meant to be absorbed over a long period of time. It's not fast food; it's a five-course meal. You're supposed to get full off this stuff. You're supposed to unbutton the top button on your jeans after ingesting this.

I play another Melvin Van Peebles track ("Salamaggi's Birthday") and another David Sancious cut ("About You") at Greenie's request, but I also get to play some raw You Tube audio from a little-known group called The Toledo Show out of Long Beach CA. If you get a chance, take a look at their videos. They are amazing-- all live recordings of performances that you will have to see in person the next time you find yourself on the West Coast.

Greenhouse and I discuss the state of hip-hip and other pursuits; the interview this time around is more relaxed and thoughtful, due to it being later in the day without the distraction of digging through the crate to find selections to play. By this point we were just talking and not trying to groove to any jams. Like I said, there's another hour of our conversation in the can that I'm going to air either next week or the week after. And the reason why I am airing it all is because, even after editing it down, there is a lot of ground we covered. Topics touched upon include David Lynch, Kendrick Lamar, Uncle Luke and the 2 Live Crew, how the current music scene is like the floor of the Wall Street stock exchange, and much more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59