MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 41)



This podcast used to be a weekly thing. Nowadays, once a month is the best I can manage. I just don't have the free time I had when I started MPS. I missed the entire month of November and didn't even have the gumption to rerun an hour or do something simple like just lining up a playlist. So I aim to post TWO installments in December.

I love doing the podcast but since I do it for free and have no ads (and barely any listeners, for that matter) it's just going to have to be something I do in my spare time, of which I don't have a lot of these days. I definitely love doing it though. I'm trying to get more straight-forward guests but the analytical side, where I just talk with friends about music, seems to be where this podcast is settling into.

Local musician/frequent collaborator Jeremiah Cosner and I do this thing where we listen to one side of a vinyl record, then break it down. We call it "Jeremiah's Vinyl Room" and we record it at his place because he has this natural reverb in his music room. This episode finishes up where we left off last time, with Side Two of The Velvet Underground's third eponymous album under our scrutiny.

After that, jazz pianist/longtime friend Nick Culp and I discuss the finer aspects of classic hip-hop in a segment we call "Some Ill Shit". His stately analysis of producers like DJ Premier and RZA highlights this part of our discussion. He and I talk it out over the phone (Nick lives in Oakland CA).

Next episode will concern the first side of The Doors' L.A. Woman. Jeremiah and I are big fans of Mr. Mojo Risin and their last album as a group is one of their best.

Here are the links:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mixtape-preservation-society/id1231896937?mt=2
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bj-fornicatti/mps-hr-41
Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/MPSHR41

Here's the breakdown for the latest episode:


00:00 Intro/ESP
05:15 Beginning To See The Light
17:50 I'm Set Free
29:11 Story Of My Life
37:00 The Murder Mystery
43:57 After Hours
48:15 Some Ill Shit:
-- Comic books vs. Rap
-- Mass Appeal
-- The Symphony
-- Top Billin'
-- Words I Manifest
-- Coachella 2001
59:30 End Of The Hour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59