MPS MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 10



I went to Chicago this past weekend and hung out with my cousin and her family plus a friend from L.A. It was nice to get out of Indy for a spell, and I came back feeling refreshed and creative... but I was also spent from all the activities, plus broke from buying new vinyl and travel expenses. I didn't have any real time to throw a podcast together in the manner that I've been doing, and that's fine... This is sort of a solo effort on my part. No guests, no interviews, just me wanting to play music for avid listeners.

According to my stats, I'm getting more people listening to the feed via Soundcloud than any other platform so far. I like iTunes and really hope to develop a presence there but I am also very thankful and grateful that anyone is listening at all. So mad props to my Soundcloud peeps following my podcast!

My theme this week involves that song that Kirk Van Houten (the father of Milhouse on The Simpsons) sang when he recorded a demo tape. The song is titled "Can I Borrow A Feeling?" and if you Google it you'll find all these nutty covers of the song done by fans of the show. I decided to mix that up with a rock en espanol vibe that my cousin exposed me to when I was staying with her in Logan Square.

I opened the show with "She's Gone Away" from the latest episode of Twin Peaks: The Return. Billed as "The Nine Inch Nails", Trent Reznor and company appeared on what is arguably the weirdest and best episode of the new series thus far. It's a great song and it was one of many highlights of what promises to go down in TV history as a watershed moment.

I mainly played songs by Los Straitjackets and Chicano Batman, the latter being a group that my cousin played for me via their Pandora station. Los Straitjackets specialize in Spanish versions of rock/soul standards, while Chicano Batman has a retro vibe but a definitely modern outlook on music. I was tempted to throw in a track by Run The Jewels featuring Zack de la Rocha but instead I figured I'd keep it short this week.

Or did I? After cueing up the ultra-lengthy "Cloreen Baconskin" from Crystal Ball, the show seems to end... there's a moment of silence... and if you keep the player going in the background while you do things around the house, you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

I don't know if I can ever do a short podcast. I often find that I don't have enough time to play all the things I want to play. If I ever do a show under an hour in the future, you'll know that I was just not feeling the will to do it that week. I look forward to putting these things together and enjoy hearing the finished product as I type up these blog synopses.

I have no idea what's in store for next week. Will I play selections from the records I bought in Chicago? Will Greenhouse make an appearance? JIN-XS perhaps? Maybe an interview with someone with a higher profile than normal? Or just regular people who want to be on my show? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MPS (MIXTAPE PRESERVATION SOCIETY HOUR 38)

Hour Nine... Hour Nine... Hour Nine...

MPS HOUR 59